5 Best Alcohols to Pair With Coffee
What is better a nice cup of coffee or a sweet dessert? No need to choose! Adding Amaretto to your coffee will have your taste buds singing to the birds. Amaretto coffee is an Italian take on Irish coffee. The liqueur has a flavor profile of sweet and nutty. It tastes of almond which leaves sweet and bitter notes. There are two types of people in this world, people who like sweets and people who love sweets! Amaretto already will give it some sweetness but if that isn’t enough you can simply add whip cream and cinnamon to your Amaretto coffee. The drink can be served as a nightcap or as a dessert that pairs well to the ending of your meal. It’s a great drink to enjoy in the cooler seasons, as well as any time of year!
- 8 oz (1 cup) of coffee
- 1 oz (2 tablespoons) of Amaretto
- Whipped cream if desired
- 1 dash of Cinnamon to top off
- Make coffee however you like although French press is recommended.
- Pour coffee into fun coffee mug
- Pour Amaretto on top
- Stir with spoon for 10-15 seconds for proper mix
- Enjoy an incredible beverage out of your fun coffee mug!
- For a double, just double the ingredients of coffee to 16 oz (2 cups) and pour 2.5 oz (5 tablespoons) of amaretto.
A great addition to your coffee is whiskey. The taste of whiskey/bourbon is a perfect complement to that of coffee. Whiskey often has overtones of vanilla and caramel that pair well with your coffee. A common beverage including whiskey and coffee is an Irish coffee. Irish coffee typically has sugar and whipped cream added for a sweeter taste. This drink is a classic that can wake you up on cold mornings or keep you going after a long night. Bourbon compliments the coffee in a way that just warms your body. Here are a couple of excellent whiskey and coffee recipes that will not disappoint.
- 1.5 ounces of Irish whiskey
- 2 teaspoons of brown sugar
- 4-6 ounces of hot brewed coffee of your preference
- Garnish with whipped cream
- In a stemmed glass preferably 8 ounces fill it with 1.5 ounces of Jameson or Tullamore Dew. (Really any Irish whiskey that you prefer. These are two that I enjoy personally.)
- Pour 4 to 6 ounces of delicious coffee into the glass.
- Top with whipped cream. Make sure you froth the cream so that it floats perfectly on top. An inch of whipped cream is the amount you are looking for to complete this tasty beverage.
Maple Coffee Whiskey Cocktail
- 1 ounce of whiskey or bourbon (Whichever you prefer)
- 4 ounces of cold brew coffee (Dark roast is best.. Italian, French or Espresso roasts)
- ½ ounce of maple syrup
- 1 ounce of heavy whipping cream
- In a cocktail shaker add whiskey, cold brew and maple syrup.
- Put the top on the shaker and shake well for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Fill separate glass with ice and strain cocktail into glass.
- Top with 1 ounce of heavy whipping cream.
Spiced rum added to your coffee is a must. The rum can be added to hot and iced coffee. Adding rum to your coffee creates a smoother taste rather than that of an Irish coffee. Black coffee has a bitter taste but adding spiced rum creates a sweetness which pairs well. Spiced rum in coffee is deliciously indulgent and a great drink to enjoy all year around. Here are a couple of recipes for you to indulge.
Spiced Rum with Butterscotch Whipped Cream
- 2 ounces of spiced rum
- 5 or 6 ounces of coffee (serve hot)
- 1 tablespoon of simple syrup or a single sugar cube
- ¾ cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ tablespoons of malted milk powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons of dark brown sugar
- Tiny pinch of kosher salt
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Combine heavy cream, malted milk powder, brown sugar and salt in a mixing bowl or bowl of mixer.
- Use whisk or electric beater to mix ingredients until the cream forms together and you can’t see any chunks (This typically takes 2 minutes or so).
- In a separate mug combine hot coffee, spiced rum and simple syrup.
- Using a spoon, scoop the whipped cream on top of coffee and sprinkle fresh grated nutmeg over it.
If you’re looking to add more sweetness to your coffee; Kahlúa is a perfect booze to pair. Kahlúa is a delicious sweet liqueur that tastes of coffee with notes of vanilla, chestnut, and caramel. The liquor has a strong coffee taste compared to whiskey and rum. Coffee with Kahlúa is sweet and smooth, but also a bit nutty. You can add Kahlúa to either hot or cold coffee: whichever you prefer! For those who do not consume dairy, this is a perfect option for added sweetness and booze. Kahlúa is a brand of coffee liquor that will blend perfectly with whatever coffee cocktail you prefer. Kahlúa makes for a simple yet very delicious recipe. You can’t go wrong!
- 1 ounce of Kahlúa
- 2 ounces of Coffee
- Add 1 part Kahlúa coffee liqueur to your cup.
- Pour 2 ounces of freshly brewed hot coffee into the cup.
- Add your favorite milk or cream if you want.
Kahlúa Vietnamese Iced Coffee
- 1 ounce of Kahlúa
- 6-8 ounces of strong dark coffee cold brew
- 2 tablespoons of condensed milk
- Pour sweetened condensed milk into a highball glass.
- Add your cold brew and Kahlúa, stir well.
- Add ice and enjoy!
Spiking your coffee with vodka is a great addition to your cold brew or hot cup of joe. Also known as a Russian coffee, pairing vodka with your brew creates a sophisticated booze compared to those containing cream variants. The taste is strong but will surely wake you up. A very popular cocktail containing vodka and coffee is an espresso martini. This cocktail can be enjoyed before and after dinner: it’s up to you!
- 2 ounces of vodka
- 1 ounce of Kahlúa
- 1 splash of heavy cream
- Add vodka and Kahlúa into a rocks glass filled with ice
- Top with heavy cream and stir
- 2 ounces of vodka
- ½ ounce of coffee liqueur (typically Kahlúa)
- 1 ounce of espresso, freshly brewed or cold brew concentrate
- ¼ ounce of simple syrup
- Add vodka, coffee liqueur, espresso and simple syrup into a shaker filled with ice and shake until well chilled.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with 3 coffee beans.
I hope that after reading this blog it has given you some ideas for your next perfect coffee cocktail. Coffee is truly such a versatile beverage that can be enjoyed in many ways. Everyone has a liquor choice that they prefer. Now that you know you can mix coffee with pretty much any liquor there is no reason you shouldn't try one of these delicious cocktails at your next holiday party or just on a relaxing evening. Thank you for reading, take care and keep drinking coffee!